Apply Now for ASP’s Solar Eclipse Public Engagement Training for Scientists
Gregory Schultz Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Are you interested in public engagement for the April 2024 total solar eclipse? The Astronomical Society of the Pacific's (ASP's) Eclipse Stars program is now accepting applications! Get National Science Foundation–supported free training, support, and materials from the ASP designed to help scientists engage and inspire public audiences in the April 2024 solar eclipse.
ASP Eclipse Stars is for scientists and science graduate students interested in supporting communities within (or near) the path of totality to experience the awe of the April 2024 solar eclipse.
What Accepted Applicants Will Receive:
- A 3-hour, virtual, interactive workshop focused on developing public engagement skills.
- A physical kit of hands-on eclipse activities, eclipse viewers, and other resources to use during your public outreach events.
- Access to the ASP’s archive of videos, guides, and other resources highlighting best practices in science communication and public engagement.
- Coaching by experts in astronomy education and public engagement.
- Official certification as an ASP Eclipse Star.
And It’s FREE!
Application Qualifications for Scientists:
- Status as either a science graduate student or working scientist/science professional (bachelor degree or higher).
- Degree(s) or employment in astronomy, astrophysics, heliophysics, physics, planetary science, or a related field.
- Passion or strong interest in solar eclipses and eclipse outreach.
- You are planning outreach for learners and/or the general public who will experience the 8 April 2024 solar eclipse along the path of totality. Outreach can take place either the day of totality, or before in preparation for the eclipse.
- Public outreach can include engaging with the general public, classroom teachers, museum/planetarium visitors, an on-campus community, etc.
- Prior experience with public engagement is preferred, however novices are welcome to apply.
Apply soon, as spaces will be filled on a rolling basis, with workshops planned for this coming fall and winter. Please share this information with your friends and colleagues!
Questions? Write to us at email@example.com.